Monday, 4 March 2013

Geek Girl by Holly Smale

Synopsis:

Harriet Manners knows a lot of things.

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?


Review:

Geek Girl is a sweet novel told from the point of view from Harriet, a geek. After being bullied, she is desperate to change. She is spotted by a top model agency and Harriet doesn't hesitate to accept it - this is a way out of the geek life. She is determined to make it happen, even if it involves stealing her best friend's dream, lying to her family and being embarrassed a million times over in front of male model, Nick. As each disaster seems to be worse than the last one, Harriet is running out of time to change herself. Will it work?

I couldn't stop reading this book. Yes, people, this is the type of book that will keep you up all night! Don't say you weren't warned! Every time I would tell myself that I would read one more chapter and I would end up reading twenty. As desperate as I was to reach the ending, I also didn't want it to end. I loved reading about Harriet's life and meeting all the different characters. Smale does an excellent job of creating a diverse amount of characters, they all work really well together and they are definitely not boring.

One of the main reasons why I love this book is because I relate to Harriet so much. I don't love maths or chemistry and I definitely won't be picked for a fashion company anytime soon (though she hates fashion, which I empathise with), but I could connect with her many times throughout the book. I am not exactly one of the "popular" people at my school but I still have friends and get along with most people - however, I am definitely a geek! A book geek, let's say. Throughout Geek Girl, I kept saying: "YES! Yup, I do that. OMG THAT IS SO TRUE. Okay, has Holly Smale been inside my head?" because certain things Harriet does is definitely what I'd do in that situation. If you want a good book that you can connect to the character with, read this one.

It was also interesting to see how each character evolved throughout the story. Harriet was eventually proud to be a geek in the end but she doubted herself a lot. It is a book that every teenager should read as it gives across the message to be yourself, don't try to be like what everyone else wants you to be. As well as it being a brilliant story about finding yourself, it is also a hilarious book that has a lot of heart warming moments.

This book was sent to me by Love Reading 4 Kids.

RATE: 5/5

Publisher: Harper Collins | Pages: 378 | Publication Date: 28th February 2013 | Edition: ARC Paperback | Source: For Review | To buy click HERE.

12 comments:

  1. Brill review, Zoe :D GG was absolutely hilarious and I'm there with you about relating Harriet. She had such a similar view on things and it was really nice to follow along with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I have been wanting to read this for ages.. I have heard amazing things about it and I am so glad you liked it :') it seems so funny :D Great review! :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOH!!! YAY! I'm so glad you loved this one! I've been seeing a lot of model-related stories out there recently and this one looks like an awesome one! It sounds super cute and like a great coming-of-age story! And YAY for relating to the MC! Most important thing of a book, serving it up the MC's way! *sings along to Spongebob tune* (I do realize that I'm the only one who probably understands what I'm talking about)

    Love,

    Awkward Croissant Tweeter/
    Spazzy Alligator/
    YOUR FAVORITE PERSON EVER (JKJK ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. GEEK GIRLS RULE! While I do love math, I also don't care much for fashion and would totally connect with Harriet!! I need a book to keep me up all night right now. My sister is actually reading it and loving it!

    great review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,
    I have heard fabulous things about this book and it sounds perfect. I'm 100% Geek and I can't wait to read this. Thanks for sharing :) Great Review, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Ps. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I really want to read this! Fantastic review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hhmm.. I'm not exactly into this type of books but your review made me curious so bad that I decided to read this book. Great review :)

    BTW, I'm currently having a giveaway on my blog. You can check it out and join :) FOllower APpreciation GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can make books sound so interesting! Even when I already love reading in the first place!

    I have nominated you for a Seriously! What a Great Blog! award, and I understand that you're probably busy-ish, but if you'd like, you can check it out: http://atinycupoftea.blogspot.com/2013/03/catch-up-blog.html

    ~Katherine :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this on my kindle and I can see a lot of Geek Girl love around on blogs and on twitter! I mean I'm 100% Geek and I could fit this club no problems! We could be Geeks together! I love when you can connect with a character in books, it make the experience that much more amazing than just reading and imagining it! Lovely review Zoe! :)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful review, Zoe!

    I've seen Geek Girl a lot around the blogosphere and I think it looks really nice! It's always awesome when you can relate to a main character. I love maths and chemistry and I consider myself a geek, so I also think me and Harriet would connect quite well! Thanks for the review! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like I could really relate to Hariett as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome! I read every single one and really appreciate you visiting my blog! :)

*hugs and gives you a free unicorn*