Monday, 11 March 2013

Easy by Tamara Webber

Synopsis:

Rescued by a stranger.
Haunted by a secret
Sometimes, love isn’t easy…


He watched her, but never knew her. Until thanks to a chance encounter, he became her savior…

The attraction between them was undeniable. Yet the past he’d worked so hard to overcome, and the future she’d put so much faith in, threatened to tear them apart.

Only together could they fight the pain and guilt, face the truth—and find the unexpected power of love.

A groundbreaking novel in the New Adult genre, Easy faces one girl's struggle to regain the trust she's lost, find the inner strength to fight back against an attacker, and accept the peace she finds in the arms of a secretive boy.


- Taken from Goodreads.com

Review:

Despite not reading much of this genre, I found Easy to be a great read. It is gripping, heart-racing and very romantic. This book is my first of the New Adult genre, and definitely not my last. I was pleasantly surprised by Easy as this type of book isn't usually my first preference. I expected it to be a cliché drama romance, but it had elements of thriller and some humorous parts. Even though it deals with uncommon issues, it still manages to be relevant and relatable.

The general gist of the book tells the story of Jacqueline, a typical university student, who is failing physics and getting over her idiot of a boyfriend. One day she is assaulted after a party and another student attempts to rape her. He doesn't get away with it as a mysterious boy saves her (of course, the reader instantly knows this is going to be the love interest). She doesn't tell anyone, not even her friends. However, she gets on with her life but the mysterious boy (Lucas) keeps popping up - even in ways she doesn't know of yet.

Tamara Webber is a great writer and I think she handled the difficult issues well. Rape is a serious crime and in the book helped me to grasp a deeper understanding of it and how it shouldn't be something to be taken lightly. It isn't too hard-hitting, but it did make me think that this happens to people and the author conveyed some very strong emotions. Easy also teaches young girls to speak up about it. The main character gets accused later on of being a liar, and by not speaking up about it more people are being hurt by this boy. I think this story is a great book for teenagers and it is very inspiring.

Now. Lucas. He isn't one of my favourite fictional love interests, but he is perfect for this book! He is sweet, protective and cares about Jacqueline. There are some steamy scenes so be warned.... there is The Scene with a capital T and S. It doesn't go into too much detail but I just thought I would mention it in case you want to avoid it. :)

The only reason why I didn't give it a full rating is because I wasn't totally blown away. It isn't original. Contemporary romance is quite hard to make unique among the others, I understand, but nothing really stood out to me.

I am very interested in Webber's other books now, including Between the Lines. She is a fantastic writer and I am not surprised that this book is popular. The characters were perfect, the storyline is poignant and the general premise is captivating. If you enjoy this genre, don't miss out.

RATE: 4/5

Publisher: Berkley Trade | Pages: 310 | Publication Date: 6th November 2012 | Edition: Paperback | Source: For Review | To buy click HERE.

7 comments:

  1. I agree, it's hard to be original in the contemporary genre (or perhaps I am reading all the formulaic books out there), which is why I'm not always fond of it. I really like the sound of this one, though. I'm glad to hear that the author handles some of the serious topics well. I'm looking forward to meeting Lucas, too. ;) Great review, Zoe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe! I'm so glad that you've tried out your first New Adult book! I'm quite a fan of this genre, but sadly, I haven't read this one yet. The issues that Webber talks about in this story seem quite significant and I'm glad she conveyed them well. I can't wait to meet Jacqueline and Lucas as a couple, they seem great! And I agree with you, it's really difficult to make contemporary romances stand out. But lovely review, Zoe! I look forward to reading your other NA reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my genre, but it sounded intriguing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh yay for reading more new adult books in the future! There are definitely a lot of really sweet ones out there :) I'm glad that Easy was a really exceptional read, although there wasn't anything really razzle-dazzle BUT I REALLY NEED TO CHECK THIS OUT. (Sorry for the caps I keep forgetting to turn it off today O_O) Also, I'm really happy you find it poignant and sweet!

    Awesome review, Zoe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love Contemporary, so I really should read this one-- I've heard nothing but good things! Rape is a really serious subject, and I'm glad that it was handled in a way that you liked. Haha, Lucas sounds like a really good character, and I can't wait to dive into this one. Great review, Zoe!

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, Zoe!

    I bought this on my kindle, and I didn't actually know what it was about. I thought it was a paranormal novel...I was wayyyy off! It looks really good, although I might leave this for when I'm a bit older as I don't really enjoy books that deal with such intense issues as well as books that have The Scene, with a capital T and S. Lol!

    Glad you enjoyed it, but sorry it didn't blow you away! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen this book going around the blogosphere, and everyone has said amazing things about this book. I have no idea why I've been waiting so long to read this book, but you're making me want to GO PICK IT UP RIGHT NOW!!! I need to move this up my to-read list!!

    Marlene Detierro (Where to buy cowboy boots)

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome! I read every single one and really appreciate you visiting my blog! :)

*hugs and gives you a free unicorn*