Monday, 4 February 2013

John Green - Cadogan Hall event



Today I will be talking about what I did yesterday, my first book event! I will try to carry out this post without just tapping random keys and using a million emoticons... I'll try. Promise.

About a week ago, I was invited by Spinebreakers to go to a John Green event in London. Being an absolute MASSIVE John Green fan, I immediately said yes! Even though I live miles away, I was determined to get there. ;) The Fault in Our Stars is my favourite book and I love the vlogbrothers videos so much! I was slightly nervous as I didn't know what to expect but the whole event was fantastic. I just wish it was longer!

Firstly, I had to retrieve my ticket from the box office. I still have my ticket as a souvenir. Here is me with the ticket, waiting to go inside (whilst waiting to go inside I was also tweeting Lucy from Queen of Contemporary.. thanks for putting up with my extreme fan-girling, Lucy!) :

(sorry about my face) :p

However, in actual fact, inside I was like this:






Once I was inside the hall, I met the three other Spinebreakers there and we talked about John Green for a bit before it started. When John Green came onto the stage.... WOW! Everyone is the theatre cheered like crazy, cried with joy and clapped until their hands hurt. It was amazing seeing all the nerdfighters get so excited about an author and books, I loved the atmosphere so much. The only place where I have seen people get excited about books have been on the Internet so it was amazing to see it in real life. It has definitely inspired me to go to more book and/or blogging events. :)

John Green started to talk about how he came up with the story idea and his life before writing. He told us about a very touching story about a girl called Esther Earl and how she sadly died at the age of sixteen. He wanted to show people that people who have illnesses are just as funny, witty and lovely as other people. After that, he brought Hank Green on stage and he sang a few songs. They are HILARIOUS! And nerdy, which I enjoyed. ;)

Before the event, we were given two squares of paper to write questions on for John and Hank. They didn't read mine out, but I loved their answers to the others! Plus, to make the event even more awesome, they brought out Maureen Johnson! I haven't read any of her books but I like her as an author and her tweets are hilarious.

Sadly, the event came to end. John and Hank sang The Proclaimers to finish the spectacular day and everyone was singing along and clapping. My favourite thing about the event is that the atmosphere was so relaxing and joyful, I felt like I knew everyone in the theatre! I was laughing and smiling so hard my mouth hurt afterwards. :D

My oh so wonderful Dad bought me a shirt with The Fault in Our Stars tour on and a copy of An Abundance of Katherines, a John Green book I don't own. Here is the shirt design:


And here is me with my copies of the books outside Cadogan Hall:


It was truly a brilliant day and I am still excited at the thought of it. Everyone also got a signed paperback copy of The Fault in Our Stars... JOHN GREEN'S SIGNATURE IS AWESOME. I'll show off my signed books in my next Showcase Sunday though :)

I would like to end the post by saying a huge thanks to Spinebreakers. They supplied the complementary tickets and I can't say in words how grateful I am. :)

I will post more reviews and stuff soon... I have three more days of exams and then I have a week off school - yay! In the meantime, check out my interview with Eileen over at her blog, **Singing and Reading in the Rain**. Go on... you know you want to! *bribes with a virtual chocolate cookie*

Have a good week!

16 comments:

  1. OHMYGIDDYGAWD!!!! You met John Green! Whoopee!!!! So as you know, I haven't read The Fault in Our Stars yet (I'm so awful, right?) but I've heard so many amazing things about John Green!!!! And I wish I could've gone to this! The atmosphere sounds absolutely brilliant... it's hard to imagine a place where readers go crazy together, right? I'll definitely have to make time to go to some author/blogger events too as they sounds fabulous!

    I'm so glad you had a lovely day and I enjoyed hearing about it! You lucky thing, getting to meet the author AND get a signed copy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Zoeee!!! A picture of you!!! I actually know what you look like, that's really cool! :D

    Sorry for sounding stalker-ish! Anywhooo, oh my gosh you lucky lucky lucky person! I LOVED The Fault in our Stars, and John Green is just a genius. I'm so happy for you that you had a great time. I'm dying to go to some book/blogger events. I've been invited to quite a few but they are always soo far away and I'm really nervous. Hopefully when I eventually go to an event, I'll have some bloggy friends to come with me. :)

    Thanks so much for sharing your pics of the event! And I love your Big Bang Theory and Friends gifs! The best shows ever ;P

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I AM SO SUPER JEALOUS OF YOU! IT SOUNDS AMAZING, YOUR SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X 1000. All the good authors go to the UK, I am from Australia so.... Lucky u!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, Zoe! It sounds like it was an amazing event! I wish I could have been there, and that's coming from someone who hasn't even read anything by John Green before! I plan to rectify that very soon, though. ;) I'm glad you had a great time. The atmosphere at bookish events like this always makes it worthwhile. :) Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg so jealous!! This events looks amaazzzzzzzzzing. I have The Fault in Our Stars on my bookshelf waiting to be read but I haven't got round to it yet :( Love all the goodies you took away from it! Cool t-shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exams, ugh :L we have a week off next week too - *high fives*!

    Your t-shirt is so cool :O The event sounded amazing, lucky you!!! I can't wait to see all your signed books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. GAHHH YOU ARE SOOO LUCKY!!!! I didn't get invited! ><

    ReplyDelete
  8. EEEEKK you sound like you had so much fun! I've only seen John Green' from his vlogs but he sounds so nerdy and witty and eloquent all at the same time! I'm glad you had so much fun Zoe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. EEP! That is so ASDSFGHJKL fantastic! I wish I could've gone, but I don't live in the UK, so that's a problem :p The atmosphere sounded so wonderful, I would LOVE to go to a place where there's loads of book nerds like myself :P I absolutely LOVE the t-shirt too! :D

    I really need to read The Fault in Our Stars soon...I must be one of the last people that hasn't read it yet :p

    Glad you had a fantastic time! :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeek, I'm so jealous you got to go to a Spinebreakers event - and that you met Maureen Johnson!! :P I live way too far away unfortunetly so I haven't been able to go to any. :( But this event looks like it was A LOT of fun and I love Hank and John's videos too - they're so funny, haha! :') And I love those pics! :)

    Still to read TFiOS *sniffles* :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. So exciting! I'd probably end up breathing in a paper bag too! John Green! You are one lucky girl.
    I'm so so glad you had fun and I bet being surrounded by all those book lovers was a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG Zoe!! :) I also happy that you had so much fun :) I bet it was definitely a night to remember :D

    I need to go to notebook events! :/ your first one was John Green, how freaking amazing!!!

    Enjoy all your books and I look forward to your showcase :) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I AM SO JEALOUS!!! That sounds so fun, I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is a very jealous Nerdfighter over here right now. But I'm so pleased that you had a good time! And I really didn't mind your fangirling, Zoe! It was actually very amusing!
    I have to agree with Jessica and say that I would be incredibly nervous if that were me. I'm just so shy!
    Thanks for sharing! Such a nice picture of you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhhhhhh you're so lucky! Can't believe you managed to get tickets. Glad you had a great time though and got your fangirl on :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH.MY.GOD. I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You lucky thing! That sounds so infinitely awesome!!! *SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!*

    I am finding it very hard to structure any sort of coherent thought because I am just SQUEEEEEEEING over how awesome this must have been for you!!!!

    EEEEEEEEPPP!!!!

    Ohmygod, cos you know how much I LOVE TFiOS and I love John Green and sometime, like a few months ago, when I found out about his UK tour I was like YAYAYAYAYAYAYYYY!!! OMG I AM SOOOO GOING!
    But then I realised ALL the tickets were sold out (unless I wanted to take a trip up to Scotland...I mean, I would travel all the way to London for this but sadly Scotland is a little unfeasible) and then I was a very sad bunny :( :( Like, even sadder than I was when I found out I couldn't go see Taylor Swift because her Red tour is only going around America :( (And that is saying something!)

    *takes a minute...or twenty to go and hide in a corner and cry about how I missed out on John Green's book tour*

    WAAAAAAAAA :( :( :(

    Seriously. I am never going to get over that.

    Anyway, you don't want your comment space to be clogged up by me moaning piteously so...yeah...

    Sounds like you had FAB time and thanks for sharing about your experience! (Even if it was very painful for me to read *sniff* ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome! I read every single one and really appreciate you visiting my blog! :)

*hugs and gives you a free unicorn*