Friday, 4 January 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Synopsis:

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.



WARNING: Extreme amount of gushing featured in this review. Be prepared.

Review:

ASDFGHJKL is the only word I can use to describe this book. It is AMAZING. OMG. This is more of a rant than a review, but what the hey. ^.^

The Fault in Our Stars is, without a doubt, one of the best books I have ever read! It is beautifully written and the words sprinkled onto the page are breath-taking. I would be surprised if you read a page without awing at the gorgeous description.

Told through the eyes of Hazel, a diagnosed cancer patient, Green sets the scene brilliantly. In the first few pages we understand that Hazel has is going through a difficult time and although she is losing faith in herself, we don't see her as boring at all. She reluctantly goes to a cancer support group every week but one week changes them all - she meets Augustus. OMG AUGUSTUS.  Interesting, different and understanding, Hazel becomes more fascinated with him. Their relationship is not the usual type of YA romance (that can get a bit annoying after a while), theirs is unique.

The first line grabs the reader and never lets go, not even at the end. The story lingers in your mind for days after and you will be compelled to read more of Green's books. On the last page, I was thinking "What?! This can't be the end! JOHN GREEN WHAT ARE DOING TO MY LIFE. HOW DARE YOU CAUSE THIS TO HAPPEN." The ending. Oh, the ending. This is one of the rare books that made me cry and I get emotional just thinking about it.
However, I don't want a sequel. I think it is perfect the way it ended and I am not sure how it would carry off.... (though John Green is a genius.)

Everyone should read this book. Even if you don't like contemporary, still read it. All bookworms should have the ability to talk about it and ASDFGHJKL together! Whoo!

Here are some of my favourite quotes:

“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”  

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”  

“There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.”  

“It's a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing.”  

I command you all to read this book. Not only is it a great story but the writing will change you. I won't hear the word 'Okay' the same again.... I better go now as I am getting emotional again... *sniffles*

Publisher: Dutton Books
Publication date: 10th January 2012
Pages: 313
Edition: Hardback
Source: Bought
To buy this book click HERE.

 

11 comments:

  1. Sounds REALLY intriguing. I might have to add that onto my list for this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG my friend spoiled this one, so I kind of didn't love it as much (because I knew EVERYTHING, even that ending) but I still got really sad! Because SERIOUSLY, it's definitely a classic and WHY ISN'T IT A MOVIE YET? Besides, John Green IS a genius. A total genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I HAVE to read this! It sounds utterly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! eeeeeeeeeeppppppp!!!!!!!!! *starts jumping up and down like a crazy penguin*

    You're right - it's just so hard to find the words to describe this book because it's so... Asdfghjkl!!

    I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THE FAULT IN OUR STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally understand the gushing.
    I think there could just be a book of the best quotes from The Fault In Our Stars - so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm one of very few bloggers who haven't read this! My friend loved this (I think it's even her favourite book ever!) but I've yet to pick it up! Knowing me, I'd bawl my eyes out at this! :'( Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaw Zoe, what a fabulous review. I actually have a review for this up on my blog too, and oh gosh your review says everything I felt about it too. I could not stop crying after it was over, and thinking about it now still gives me the goosies. :( GUS! I love him!!!!!! He was sooo unique and he's always gonna live on, no matter what... :') I totally agree, their relationship was so different from the usual YA romance and it was a breath of fresh air. Great review, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I don't think I've read a SINGLE negative review for The Fault in our Stars! And yet I still haven't picked it up! It's one of those books I just never seem to get round to :P But after reading your raving review, I think I'll have to push this one to the top of my Wishlist!

    Thankyou for sharing your thoughts on this one with us, Zoe. I really love incredibly positive reviews like yours! They make me smile :D

    By the way, I've missed Bookhi tons over my break. I'm really excited to be visiting Bookhi again :)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think, like Jessica I still haven't picked this book up *cries*. But I have reserved it from my library. So I WILL READ THIS! Is it really that emotional?! I'm not terribly emotional on books..Ok that's a bit of a lie! Haha! I think I will need my box of tissues at the ready!

    BTW I forgot to give you a #virtualtissue Lucy and I came up with out own emotional hashtag! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome review! I can't wait to read this one. I haven't read anything by John Green before, but I'm hoping this will be my first! :)

    regards,
    grace of San Pedro Self Storage

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome! I read every single one and really appreciate you visiting my blog! :)

*hugs and gives you a free unicorn*