Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Survive by Alex Morel

Synopsis:

Jane is on a plane on her way home to Montclair, New Jersey, from a mental hospital. She is about to kill herself. Just before she can swallow a lethal dose of pills, the plane hits turbulence and everything goes black. Jane wakes up amidst piles of wreckage and charred bodies on a snowy mountaintop. There is only one other survivor: a boy named Paul, who inspires Jane to want to fight for her life for the first time.

Jane and Paul scale icy slopes and huddle together for warmth at night, forging an intense emotional bond. But the wilderness is a vast and lethal force, and only one of them will survive.

 

 Review:

As soon as I started reading Survive, I was hooked. I was engrossed in Morel's beautiful words straight away and the exquisite language blew me away. In my opinion, this is a brilliant book that everyone who is a fan of sinister and thrilling novels must read.
Unique is one word I would use to describe this book. The adventure begins as we learn about our protagonist, Jane. She is on the way home from a mental hospital where she's been living the past year. Nobody understands her. Nobody knows how she feels, not even the psychiatrists. Nobody can get through to her. As she attempts to commit suicide on the plane, it suddenly crashes. Suddenly, she has to fight for her life.
The main character is a very interesting person. Despite her being troubled with many problems, seeing though her perspective was very refreshing. Normally, main characters have problems that are not as advanced as this and I liked how Morel wasn't afraid to tackle such a big issue. This book is relatable yet different to most YA books; it provides enough of a story that is unpredictable but at the same time it is easy to connect to. Emotional rollercoaster, heart-racing and enthralling - Survive is a book that you mustn't miss. I also liked seeing her evolve through the book, with love interest Paul's help. I really like seeing characters with MEANING. Characters that are interesting and realistic are one of the reasons why I love to read.
I definitely recommend this to anyone who is a fan of YA thrillers. Within a few pages of the story, I was already captivated. It is a challenging novel as it deals with serious issues but they aren't overdone or too depressing. I can't wait for what more the author has to offer the YA genre!
RATE: 5/5
Publisher: Razorbill | Pages: 272 | Publication Date: 2nd February 2012 | Edition: ARC Paperback | Source: For Review | To buy click HERE.
 

10 comments:

  1. Eeeek, this looks AMAZING! Sounds like something I would definitely enjoy! I love authors that bring more serious issues into books because it gives them a lot more meaning and you feel more connected to them emotionally. It's also easier to get more in touch with characters if they're troubled. I also like the idea that she ends up fighting for her life instead of ending it... I think I'm going to look out for this one! Thanks for this amazing - and very convincing! - review, Zoe! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like good thrillers are hard to come by these days! This sounds brilliant, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. The characters can make or break a book for me so it's good to know that you appreciated them in this book. Lovely review, Zoe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I read that blurb, I was very intrigued! I'm a massive fan of thrillers, and like Sam said in the last comment, good thrillers are few and far between these days.

    I just love the sound of the plot. Plan crash, harsh weather, deadly circumstances, eep!!! It all sounds so "edge-of-your-seat!" You know?


    I really want to know what Jane's "big problem" is, and why she ended up in a mental hospital in the first place. And I also want to meet Paul!

    Thanks for your awesome review, Zoe. I'm really glad you enjoyed this, and I'm definitely keeping an eye out for Survive now. :)x

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as I read that blurb, I was very intrigued! I'm a massive fan of thrillers, and like Sam said in the last comment, good thrillers are few and far between these days.

    I just love the sound of the plot. Plan crash, harsh weather, deadly circumstances, eep!!! It all sounds so "edge-of-your-seat!" You know?


    I really want to know what Jane's "big problem" is, and why she ended up in a mental hospital in the first place. And I also want to meet Paul!

    Thanks for your awesome review, Zoe. I'm really glad you enjoyed this, and I'm definitely keeping an eye out for Survive now. :)x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the sound from this book! There is always something about survival books that makes me excited. The fact that this girl has some serious issues only adds to my fascination. I'm looking forward to see her development and her relation with Paul :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember you were talking about this book to me and I was slightly reluctant then to read it! I haven't really read many YA thrillers. I don't know what it is about them... But I have to say this is very convincing. I really like the sound of Paul :P I really do agree, characters should always have meaning and to seem more realistic to you! Lovely Review, Zoe! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Blog, just followed. Would you mind checking mine out.

    - Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, Zoe! I've been seeing this book around everywhere, I just haven't been able to find it. :( BUT OH GODS I WANT TO READ IT NOW NOW NOW. :P I'm a huge fan of thrillers, and meaningful, deep characters? Consider me sold! Lovely review, doll. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant review! I have this to read and I can't wait now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh this looks fab! one must go check it out ;D Thanks for the review!

    ps, your package came today.. I missed it as I was out... mt postman canny be arsed to open my gate.. what a pleb! :')

    Ill go grab it Monday! :D

    Thanks again doll!! :D xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome! I read every single one and really appreciate you visiting my blog! :)

*hugs and gives you a free unicorn*