Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black

Synopsis:

Dancing with someone is an act of trust. Elegant and intimate; you're close enough to kiss, close enough to feel your partner's heartbeat. But for Vanessa, dance is deadly – and she must be very careful who she trusts . . .

Vanessa Adler attends an elite ballet school – the same one her older sister, Margaret, attended before she disappeared. Vanessa feels she can never live up to her sister's shining reputation. But Vanessa, with her glorious red hair and fair skin, has a kind of power when she dances – she loses herself in the music, breathes different air, and the world around her turns to flames . . .

Soon she attracts the attention of three men: gorgeous Zep, mysterious Justin, and the great, enigmatic choreographer Josef Zhalkovsky. When Josef asks Vanessa to dance the lead in the Firebird, she has little idea of the danger that lies ahead – and the burning forces about to be unleashed . . .
 


~taken from Goodreads.

Review:

First of all, LOOK AT THE COVER. BXIBASCBIANCJISABCIB. <33

Okay, now onto the review. Ahem.

Dance of Shadows is an enthralling tale that captivates the reader and leaves them wanting more. (see? I'm being serious now. *serious face*) It is captivating and the beautiful writing left me in awe, Black is a great writer that deserves a lot of credit for writing such an amazing book. I think that this will be become a very popular novel with lots of raving reviews, I couldn't find anything wrong with it!

Normally, this wouldn't be the type of book I usually pick up. I can't dance to save my life... nor do I wish to. I am not very girly (fan-girling doesn't count ;P) so this book would usually be the ultimate turn off for me. However, when being offered this book for review, I was so in love with the cover and the storyline that I had to accept. This isn't an gooey, girly and romantic story - it is a powerful book that contains a lot of drama and heart-racing moments. The fast pace of the book allowed Dance of Shadows to be even more gripping and I could lose myself in the pages for hours. Cliffhangers are also a main feature in this book - who can put a book down when the end of the chapter is unbelievably amazing? You can't. That's the answer.
I felt like this towards the end:


I'm glad there are fellow bookworms with these confessions xD

The description in this book is exquisite, it compelled me to read further and look at the words in admiration. However, the description isn't too detailed. In some books, there are pages of pure description and no matter how brilliant the words are, it is too long - just get on with the story! But that isn't the case with Dance of Shadows. It has the perfect balance of dialogue, emotions and semantic fields of breath-taking language.

I recommend this to anyone who likes suspenseful reads with romance, drama and action then this is the book for you. Even if you are not a particularly a big fan of dancing, the elegant language is enough to engross any bookworm.

RATE: 5/5

Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication date: 14th February 2013
Pages: 447
Edition: ARC Paperback
Source: For Review - big thanks and appreciation to the Spinebreakers for sending me this in exchange for an honest review.
To buy this book click HERE.

11 comments:

  1. Amazing review :D I'm glad there's not too much description, I hate that :/

    and THAT COVER absdgfehtjcghtr. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, the cover sure is amazing. I'm not sure about this one but your review has definitely convinced me to look into it, since you've seemed to enjoy it so much! Great review and I look forward to more posts :)

    Alex @ Possession of Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I was kind of the opposite I really didn't like it Vanessa was so...MERP. But otherwise I totally agree it was an amazing book! :D That ending was pretty darn epic too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cover is gorgeous - absolutely gorgeous! xD

    This book actually really intrigued me when I first read the synopsis... I danced for years and years, but then quit, haha. :3 I'm also pretty glad that there isn't too much description! :D

    Great review - I need to check this book out now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I love your reviews! I knoww hat you mean about not being very girly. Infact, I dance like I'm having an involuntary spasm!
    Definitely going to check this one out though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the cover of this but I didn't think the actual book was very good... Oh well, at least you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't a huge fan of this myself (I just couldn't connect with it until the very end), but I'm really pleased to see you enjoyed it! Brilliant review, Zoe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Why haven't I commented sooner... I loveeeeee this cover... Its beautiful, even for a ARC, the design is just GDSKFKSHFLJSFKJS. Totally agree! I thought the description and the characters were beautifully written. This was my first ARC and what a way to kick it off. Vanessa was a brilliant characters both as a girl and ballerina. Great Book and Great Review Zoe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even my five year old say, "She is beautiful!" to the girl on the cover. I love me a book with great prose. Thanks for sharing about the book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ACTUALLY KISSED THE COVER WHEN I GOT THIS. SERIOUSLY. I WAS THAT IN LOVE.
    I'm just about to start this next and can't wait! I know there's been mixed reviews but I've read the prologue and it was really good so I'm pretty hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a beautiful cover, isn't it? And I think this will make an excellent series, I can't wait to read more..

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome! I read every single one and really appreciate you visiting my blog! :)

*hugs and gives you a free unicorn*