Friday, 13 April 2012

The Awakening of Leeowyn Blake by Mary Parker

Synopsis:

I'm a normal teenager. I have a normal teenage life with normal teenage problems. The summer is my heaven. I live with my mom during the summer months. We stay in her tiny condo in Jacksonville, Florida. My parents split up when I was little. I'm not sure why. My mom never talks about it. Whatever it was, it was bad enough to make my mom pack me up in the middle of the night when I was four years old and run to my Gran's condo. My mom got the condo after Gran died. From that time on all I had known my entire life was beach life. Until four years ago. Until my uncle found me.


Review:

The Awakening of Leeowyn Blake is a great novel filled with interesting characters, thrilling cliff-hangers and realistic dialogue. I really enjoyed reading this from the first page. I knew my just reading the synopsis that I would love it.

This story is about a teenage girl named Leeowyn Blake who lives with her mother near the beach, until her uncle comes and whisks her away and she learns about a life she never knew she had. I was never bored during this book at all, there was always something happening. Can Leeowyn survive with strangers she is related too, crazy dreams, secrets known by everyone but her, a best friend fading away from her and a boy she loves but she is not meant to?

The author made the words come alive on the page and I felt all of Lee's emotions and was just as desperate to find out secrets as she was. I can't describe how much I loved this book, it is amazing!!

In most of my reviews I comment on the characters, and I definitely need to on these. Lee is the main character but not your typical heroine. Since the age of four, she has had a pretty normal life despite not knowing anything about her father and any other member of her family. When she is found by her uncle she is not sure how to cope with things and can't quite comprehend what is happening. I think this is how any person would react - not everyone is confident and has the ability to deal with something as huge as this. I felt like I could empathise with Lee and put myself in her shoes, even though I cannot relate to her life at all.

Moreover, I thought the description was fantastic. In most books, when I picture the characters in my head, their face is kind of a blur and I just imagine the scene. However, I can clearly see Lee in my mind - pale skin, red hair, green eyes. The whole atmosphere has been built up to the incredible tension which is so realistic.

Although this is a very positive review, there is something only slightly annoying that kept popping up. The chapters randomly kept swapping between first person and third person so at some points I was not sure if Lee was viewing the scene or not. However, this only loses 0.5 of my rating so it isn't that big of a deal! ;)

This book is a mixture of everything; action, paranormal, mystery, romance, magic and fantasy. I recommend this to anyone with the ability to read!!! :D

RATE: 4.5/5

Publisher: Createspace
Publication date: 25th August 2010
Pages: 392
Edition: E-book
Source: For Review
To buy this book click HERE.

3 comments:

  1. The synopsis sounds brilliant and your review has now made me eager to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant review! Between first and third person? That's a strange feature! Thanks for sharing. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ria - Thank you so much! You should definitely read it :)

    Rachel - Yes, it was... interesting to read! Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome! I read every single one and really appreciate you visiting my blog! :)

*hugs and gives you a free unicorn*