Saturday, 3 March 2012

The Dirt by Lori Culwell

Synopsis:

Lucy Whitley cannot wait to get out of Palm Desert. It's not a place for a frizzy-haired science nerd, particularly when her fashion-obsessed older sister Sloane is the head of a clique of pretty girls who rule the school -- and practically the whole town.Fortunately, life is about to change forever. Lucy's dad is getting re-married, and then she can transfer to a boarding school in Connecticut, escaping all the mean girls and the endless whispers about the Whitley family scandal. Everything is going to be perfect -- as long as the wedding goes smoothly.

Review:

The Dirt is an enjoyable read with lots of twists and has an interesting storyline. Set in Palm Desert, science nerd Lucy Whitley can't wait to escape to boarding school away from her chaotic family. However, a massive scandal at a wedding sends all her perfect plans for the future adrift.

I thought the book was fairly enjoyable. There are a lot of cliffhangers and unbelievable happenings that made me want to laugh and cry at the same time. However, I found the beginning quite boring. The first few chapters seemed to go on for a while and even though I had an understanding at this bombshell that has landed on Lucy's life, I just didn't seem gripped to the story. Perhaps this is because I didn't know the characters that well so I didn't really feel like I knew how 'big' the event was. After the first few chapters, I sped through the book quite quickly. I think I read the last half of the book in one sitting, actually. After a lot more twists, the ending is totally unpredictable.

Lucy's voice is very clear in the book. All the characters worked really well together and I really liked the mix of personalities. By the end of the book I felt like I have known them all my life. My complaint about the characters is that some things didn't seem realistic. Like, for example, some things that character said I know a typical teenager wouldn't say. However, this didn't have a big impact on my reading and it only occurred once or twice.

Overall, I found this an enjoyable read (hmm...I seem to be using that word a lot, don't I?!). It is not absolutely amazing but it is not bad either. The writing is beautifully detailed and witty at times which lots of people are sure to like. I wouldn't class this among my favourites but who knows? It might be just up your street.


RATE: 3.5/5
Publisher: Libertary Company
Publication date: 11th November 2011
Pages: 208
Edition: Paperback
Source: For Review
To buy this book click HERE.

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I really want to know what this scandal is now! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering about the scandal too! :) Thanks for a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to hear the scandal! I think everyone does :) Fantastic review, I would love to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're passing the blogging awards today - and you snagged two! http://writingbelle.blogspot.com/2012/03/blog-awards.html Check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! This sounds like a good read! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome! I read every single one and really appreciate you visiting my blog! :)

*hugs and gives you a free unicorn*